The Drainage Act provides for the construction and management of many of the communal drainage systems in rural Ontario. Municipal drains are vital to the communities, roads and surrounding lands in rural Ontario. They reduce flooding, improve safety and reduce property damage.

New drain

Landowners in an area requiring drainage can sign a Petition for Drainage, which will set in motion a project to create a new municipal drain. This falls under Section 4 of the Drainage Act.

Repair and improvement

If an existing drain requires significant repair and as a result the repair includes changing the original drain's infrastructure in a way that is different from the original engineered plans, a Petition for Drainage under Section 78 - Repair & Improvement must be filed with the municipal clerk. Examples of this include widening, lengthening, deepening a drain, etc.

Maintenance and repair

Basic maintenance and repair work falls under Section 74 of the Drainage Act. This usually includes work such as clean outs, removal of beavers/dams, repairing/replacing tile and generally repairing the existing drain in a way that does not detract from the drain's original construction.

General drainage information

You Should:

  • If you know there is a municipal drain on your property, find out how the municipal drain affects your property. How much is your property assessed?
  • If you notice any problems with the municipal drain, immediately notify the Clerk's Department
  • Before purchasing a property, investigate how municipal drains may affect it.

You should not:

  • Obstruct access. Along every municipal drain is an unregistered work space that the municipality has the right to use to maintain or repair the drain. Please keep this work space accessible.
  • Store materials (i.e., brush or other floatable material) near the drain. During storm events and spring runoff this material may block the drain.
  • Perform the work yourself. Notify the Clerk to arrange for maintenance on a municipal drain.
  • Direct septic system waste, milkhouse waste, barnyards and manure storage runoff or other pollutants directly to these drains.

Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs provides drainage forms and information about Municipal Drains.