Marriages and Civil Ceremonies

Couples getting married in Ontario will need a marriage licence, an authorized marriage officiant and two witnesses. Your marriage must be performed by an officiant who is authorized by the province of Ontario to properly and legally perform marriages. Please visit Service Ontario for a list of authorized officiants.

Applications for a marriage certificate or a marriage licence are available online at Service Ontario or by contacting Town Hall.

Civil ceremonies

We are pleased to offer civil marriage ceremonies in the Council Chambers at Town Hall. Simple, dignified, and non-denominational marriages are conducted by the Clerk or designate, and ceremonies are approximately ten to 15 minutes long. There cannot be any religious references during the ceremony due to the civil nature of these services.


The following is required in order to get married at Town Hall:

  • A completed Civil Marriage Ceremony Form to be submitted at the time of booking.
  • A valid Province of Ontario Marriage Licence (available through the Clerk's department at Town Hall and is required ahead of your ceremony).
  • Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as specified in the Marriage Act. The Municipality of Central Huron can provide witnesses, upon request, for a fee of $25.00 per witness.


Marriage licence application - $100.00

Civil ceremony (Town Hall) - $250.00

Civil ceremony (Offsite/After hours) - $350.00

Civil ceremony witness - $25.00 per witness

Civil ceremony cancellation - $50.00

Frequently asked questions

Who can marry legally in Ontario?

Any person who is at least 18 years of age may marry. No person under 16 years of age may marry. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age (other than a widowed or divorced person) may marry with the written consent of his/her parents or legal guardians. A special consent form is available for this purpose from the Municipal Clerk's Office, Town Hall, 23 Albert St, Clinton ON N0M 1L0. If any person whose consent is required is unavailable or refuses to consent, an application may be made to a judge to dispense with consent. For further information regarding consent, please contact the Municipal Clerk's Office at 519-482-3997.

Where and when can I get a marriage licence?

Applications for a marriage license are available at Municipal Clerk's Office, Town Hall, 23 Albert St, Clinton ON, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Marriage licenses are issued Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. It is not necessary to book an appointment in advance.

Do I require any other documentation if I have been married before/divorced in Canada?

The original or Court certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute is required at the time of that a new license is issued. A copy of the divorce document can be obtained from the Court where the divorce was finalized. There will be a fee applied by the Court in order to issue and certify the divorce document.

Do both applicants have to be present to purchase the licence

It is not necessary for both the applicants to be present to purchase a marriage license. One party may obtain the license providing that the completed application, the identification and any documentation required are provided for both applicants. Both applicants must sign and date the application form before an application form can be processed.

What documents are required to apply for a marriage licence?

The application must be signed by both parties and presented with two pieces of original valid identification for both parties. Copies will not be accepted. If any of your identification is in a language other than English or French, you must present it with an official translation of the document. One piece of photo identification is required. The identification accepted is: Birth Certificate, Valid Passport, Valid Driver's licence, Canadian citizenship card, Canadian Government refugee travel document, Conditional release identification card, United States green card, Native status card, Record of immigration landing, Permanent Residency Card, Citizenship card from any country, Ontario photo card. One party present to purchase license: Divorce Papers to be produced: - If either party has been previously married and divorced in Ontario, the ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPY of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorced must be produced prior to the issuance of the license. However, no verification is required for a widow or widower.

Who can perform a marriage ceremony?

If you are getting married in Ontario, you may have a religious or civil marriage ceremony. A religious ceremony is performed by a religious official of a recognized religious organization who has received authorization from the Office of the Registrar General to perform marriages in Ontario under the Marriage Act. A civil marriage can be performed by an Ontario judge, justice of the peace or municipal clerk under the authority of a marriage license. The date and time of the ceremony must be arranged by the applicant. The applicants must also arrange for 2 witnesses to be present at the ceremony. An additional fee is applied to a civil marriage ceremony.

How do I access past marriage records?

The Office of the Registrar General maintains records of marriages that were officiated in Ontario during the past 80 years. Records beyond 80 years old are sent to the Archives of Ontario for public accessibility. To obtain a marriage certificate for an event prior to 1925, visit Archives of Ontario for more information.