Animal Services

The Municipality of Central Huron ensures that our community is a safe and healthy environment for both our residents and animals. The Animal Control Officer is responsible for animal control services in the Municipality of Central Huron and ensuring compliance with the Municipality's Animal Control Bylaw.

Dog Licenses

Dogs in the Municipality of Central Huron are required to be licenced annually, as per our Animal Control By-law. The tag must be worn on your dog at all times. A dog tag is the best form of ID for your dog. It will help with returning lost dogs to their owners. If your dog is picked up without a dog licence, you may be subject to additional fees. All dog owners must keep their dogs on a leash and abide by "poop and scoop" regulations.

Registering your dog

One tag is issued annually for each dog, for the lifetime of the dog. You must have a dog licence on or before March 31st of every year, or you may be subject to a penalty.

You can register your dog online using our Registration Form and receive your dog tag in the mail, or you can visit the Municipal Office to register your dog and pick up your dog tag.


Male or Female Dog - $25.00
Staffordshire Terrier/Pit Bull - $205.00 (annually)

Vicious Dog - $205.00 (annually)

Dog Tag Replacement - $10.00
Late Penalty on Dog Tag if not paid by March 31st - $20.00

Kennel License (must be approved by Municipality) - $150.00

Cancelling a Dog Tag

If you have moved or no longer require a dog tag, please contact the Municipal Office at 519-482-3997 or by email at

Kennel Licensing

A kennel licence is required for more than three dogs. The Municipality of Central Huron regulates dog kennel licenses. If you are interested in getting a kennel licence, please contact the Municipal Office - 519-482-3997.


 Livestock Claims

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to farmers whose livestock and poultry have been damaged by wildlife.

Our Livestock Valuator will come to your property to assess the damage. A report will then be submitted to be reviewed by OMAFRA. See the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program for full Program Guidelines.

When Making a claim:

  • Do not move the livestock before an investigation takes place
  • Take tree to six pictures of the injured or killed livestock
  • Include pictures of the site to show the location of the incident, which will help the livestock valuer with their assessment in case weather is a factor

 The Municipality of Central Huron does not provide a service to deal with injured or dead wildlife on private property.

Reporting a Dead Animal
To report a dead animal on a municipal road or property, please contact the Municipal Office at 519-482-3997 or by emailing
If you think an animal has rabies, please visit the Ministry of Natural Resources website or call their rabies hotline at 1-888-574-6656.
Private Property
Wildlife issues on private property are the responsibility of the landowner. Owners can call pest control or wildlife control companies to remove wildlife at their own expense.
 Making an Animal Control Complaint
The Municipality of Central Huron will receive animal control complaints in writing in two different ways:
  1. In Person at Town Hall: 23 Albert St, Clinton ON, Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
  2. By completing complaint form in its entirety.

The Animal Control Officer may wish to contact you to confirm information, or ask further questions regarding the issue. Please note that complainant information is considered confidential and will not be released to the person whose property is under complaint.